SALT LAKE CITY — The West Quarter Phase 1 was named overall Project of the Year by Engineering News-Record Mountain States at an awards breakfast celebration held on Wednesday, Dec. 6.
The expansive mixed use development, which holds 240 modern apartments and a dual-branded hotel space with 270 guest rooms in downtown Salt Lake City, additionally won regional Engineering News-Record (ENR) awards for Best Hospitality/Residential Project and Excellence in Safety.
“I’d like to thank The Ritchie Group and Garn Development for their vision. Thank you for the opportunity Jacobsen had to partner with you on a truly marquee project,” said Tony Castillo, project manager of The West Quarter Phase 1, in a speech accepting the award. “To anybody who goes to a Utah Jazz game or an event at the Delta Center: Take the time to get in front of The West Quarter next door and take it all in. This gives Utah another Life Elevated experience.”
ENR also spotlighted The West Quarter’s big win with a feature article praising the project as “a space-efficient precedent for urban development.”
Another Jacobsen project, the Primary Children’s Hospital Inpatient Remodel & Expansion, was honored as a top-three finalist for overall Project of the Year, in addition to winning Best Health Care Project.
“This was a very fun and very challenging project,” said Project Manager Scott Sabin in his award acceptance speech. “Primary Children’s is an amazing hospital and for each of us it has probably affected somebody we personally know. Our goal was to always put The Child First and Always and keep all the kids there safe. We did our best to be out of sight, out of mind while working in an active hospital and to keep a dust-free environment.”
In total, six Jacobsen Construction projects were honored by ENR at the publication’s annual Mountain States awards celebration hosted at the Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek. The company’s winning projects were as follows:
- Primary Children’s Hospital Hybrid Operating Room | Best Small Project (under $10 million)
- Primary Children’s Hospital Inpatient Remodel & Expansion | Best Health Care Project | Project of the Year finalist
- The West Quarter Phase 1 | Project of the Year winner | Best Hospitality/Residential Project | Best Project, Excellence in Safety
- Utah Tech University Greater Zion Stadium West Side Expansion | Best Sports/Recreation Project
- Hines Wingpointe Logistics | Manufacturing Project Award of Merit
- Huntsman Cancer Institute Cyclotron Radiochemistry Facility | Health Care Project Award of Merit
Follow this link to learn more about all six winning projects.
Regional winners were chosen by a panel of independent judges with expertise in the A/E/C industry. Entries were scored on the criteria of innovation, contributions to the construction industry and the community, the aesthetics and functionality of the project’s design, quality craftsmanship, examples of teamwork and overcoming challenges, and safety record.